- two 6-ft. oak boards cut into two 5-ft. long sections and two 5-in. long sections
- three 4-inch metal L brackets
- stud finder
- electric drill with drill bits and screwdriver bit
- twelve 2 in. long wood screws
- (optional) tung oil
- I bought oak boards from Lowe’s and had them cut them to size and cut smaller pieces for the sides.
- I drilled pilot holes for the screws in the top and bottom board (see picture below) and then screwed each side to the bottom.
- I mounted the top to the wall using the L brackets brackets screwed into three studs
- I then screwed the bottom and sides to the top and it was finished.
- Afterwards, I rubbed it down with tung oil to protect it, which darkened the wood slightly but retained the matte finish."