Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Minimalist Oak Desk

Maggi's Minimalist Oak Desk from Design*Sponge.

"Materials:

  • two 6-ft. oak boards cut into two 5-ft. long sections and two 5-in. long sections
  • three 4-inch metal L brackets
  • stud finder
  • electric drill with drill bits and screwdriver bit
  • twelve 2 in. long wood screws
  • (optional) tung oil

Instructions:

  1. I bought oak boards from Lowe’s and had them cut them to size and cut smaller pieces for the sides.
  2. I drilled pilot holes for the screws in the top and bottom board (see picture below) and then screwed each side to the bottom.
  3. I mounted the top to the wall using the L brackets brackets screwed into three studs
  4. I then screwed the bottom and sides to the top and it was finished.
  5. Afterwards, I rubbed it down with tung oil to protect it, which darkened the wood slightly but retained the matte finish."
Could also see using this as clothing, toy, or cd storage.

No comments: